Senior Citizen Volunteer Tax Relief Program
- Earn up to $500 in school tax relief
- Support your community and public schools
- Enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done
- Any Avon Grove resident who will be 60+ years old by December 31 of the serving year and who pays school taxes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How does the program work?
This is a tax relief program that allows a maximum of 50 hours of volunteer participation at $10.00 per hour credit.
- When will I receive my check?
The tax year runs from July 1 through June 30 of each year. You will receive a check in July or August for services rendered in the prior year. You must turn in a receipt to be eligible for the reimbursement.
- Can two people living in the same household participate?
Married couples that are both listed as owners of an eligible property can each earn 50 hours or $500.00 in tax relief. If your spouse has a medically certified disability, you may earn his/her 50 hours in addition to your own 50 hours.
- What does the volunteer clearance process involve?
In order to work in our schools, all volunteers must complete the clearance process. The process involves requesting and completing five clearances:
- Act 151 PA Child Abuse Clearance Form
- Act 34 State Police Criminal History Report
- Act 144 FBI Federal Criminal History Report or Waiver (if you have lived in Pennsylvania continuously for the past 10 years)
- Employee/Volunteer Self-Reporting Commitment Form
- Volunteer Acknowledgement of Policy No.916 Volunteers and Policy No. 806 Child Abuse Form
- Does it cost anything to become a volunteer?
All of the clearances are free to volunteers except the FBI Federal Criminal History Report. This report costs $22.60 unless you have lived in Pennsylvania continuously for the past 10 years. If so, you need only complete the Volunteer Request for Waiver of FBI – Federal Criminal History Record Check, which is free.
- Is there anything else I need to do before I can volunteer?
Once your application is approved, you will be invited to attend an On-boarding training to help you understand the volunteer process. These trainings will be conducted on a monthly basis.
- Additional questions?
Please call us at 610-869-2441 and we will be happy to answer all of your questions.