Avon Grove School District (AGSD) will not be facilitating its Parent Speaker Series during the 2021-2022 academic year as we work to develop a more engaging program for our families. Thank you for your support of AGSD.
Learn effective strategies for coping with stress, anxiety, sadness and other mental health challenges facing our community as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and stay-at-home order.
Part 1: Managing Your Child's Anxiety... and Yours, Presented by: Dr. Al Freedman
View a Recording
Part 2: Creating Positive Behaviors and Healthy Interactions, Presented by: Dr. Jeffrey Bernstein
Avon Grove School District is proud to collaborate with our community partners in hosting a Parent Speaker Series, a program that provides information sessions about issues relevant to parenting today. The 2019-2020 school year marks year four of the series and includes topics relating to health and wellness, along with student safety. The sessions create a positive venue for community conversations and are free to attend.
All sessions are held at Avon Grove Intermediate School and begin at 6:30 p.m.
- October 16, 2019: FARM-FRESH COOKING: Learn about the programs and services provided by the Chester County Food Bank, including its new Fresh2You Mobile Market. Watch a farm-fresh cooking demonstration and take home a bundle of locally grown, seasonal produce for your family to enjoy.
- November 7, 2019: VAPING, also known as JUULing, is becoming more popular with middle and high school students. Laura Offutt, MD, will share information about the latest health concerns associated with vaping. Learn what e-cigarettes look like and how to recognize the signs that indicate an individual might be vaping.
- January 14, 2020: SAFE SCHOOLS: Avon Grove School District has strived to improve school safety and security across all buildings for students and staff. A panel of safety and security experts will share ﬁndings of the Safe School Initiative, answer participant questions and discuss topics related to school safety.
- February 6, 2020: MINDFULNESS: Pause, and attend an information session to learn about the research behind mindfulness, what mindfulness is and how it can be applied to daily life. Discover the health beneﬁts that result from being present and paying attention to your surroundings.
- March 4, 2020: FAMILY FITNESS: Put on your sneakers and join us for a night of family ﬁtness with physical education teacher, Jeffrey Whitmer. Participants will play a variety of fun-ﬁlled ﬁtness games, appropriate for all ages and abilities. This session is recommended for K-6 families.
- April 23, 2020: MENTAL HEALTH: A panel of mental health and wellness experts will discuss topics, such as: childhood/adolescent anxiety and depression; self-injurious behaviors; stress management, drug and alcohol usage; and, how to respond to students in crisis. (Canceled due to COVID-19)