The Avon Grove School District World Language Program follows an acquisition focused approach affording all students the opportunity to develop communicative competence through a concentrated program. In alignment with the Pennsylvania World Language Standards and the National World Language Standards, the World Language Program provides purposeful instruction across the four language skills; speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
As a part of the World Languages Curriculum Review Cycle, the Voces Digitales resources are available for public review in room P11 in FSEMS between November 8 and December 22, 2021. Please contact Amy Antonio to schedule a date and time to review these materials.
Avon Grove School District is pleased to offer five different courses of study related to world languages: French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Spanish for Native Speakers. Each language offers a sequential and comprehensive course of study which students may begin when entering ninth grade. (Through an exploratory program, French and Spanish are offered as early as seventh grade.) Raising the rigor of language instruction and learning, students are effectively and continuously challenged by our language educators who aim to adhere as closely as possible to total immersion. At least 90% of the target language is used during instruction.
The Pennsylvania State World Language Standards, or the five Cs of world language learning (Communication, Culture, Connections, Comparisons, Communities), provide the foundation for the district’s world language program. In addition to a student’s preparation for post-secondary studies, the inclusion of a world language into a student’s course of study provides opportunities for interdisciplinary studies as well as exposure to other cultures. Thus, as a result of our district’s world language curriculum and program, students are taught history, literature, government and politics, and culture, as well as language in the target language. The study of a world language provides growth and development in communication skills, analytical thinking, understanding others, arts and humanities, and global citizenship.
- During their world language classes, students readily make cross-curricular connections to other content areas such as art, current events, environment, foods, geography, health, history, mathematics, music, science, and technology.
- World language teachers are dedicated professionals who work diligently to make world language an important part of their students’ preparation for college and for life in an increasingly global society.
- AP French and AP Spanish are available to students who begin their first year of world language study in eighth grade.
- 4th year study in French, German, Italian, or Spanish is an honors course of study.
- Students who successfully complete the 2nd year of study of Spanish for Native Speakers are eligible to pursue Spanish IV and subsequently, AP Spanish.
AGSD WORLD LANGUAGES
SPANISH FOR NATIVE SPEAKERS
"Learning a foreign language, and the culture that goes with it, is one of the most useful things we can do to broaden the empathy and imaginative sympathy and cultural outlook of children."
- Michael Gove