Mathematics Program Philosophy
The Avon Grove School District is committed to providing a mathematically rich environment that meets the diverse needs of all students. The District's Mathematics curriculum offers rigorous, high-quality academic opportunities aligned to the Pennsylvania Core Standards. The Standards are robust, relevant to the real world, and reflect the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed beyond the high school experience. Embedded in the Pennsylvania Core Standards are the Mathematical Practices that promote habits of mind which are required to reach a level of mathematical proficiency.
The Avon Grove School District is committed to building a strong community of critical thinkers who are continuously challenged and collaboratively engaged in daily, purposeful and authentic experiences in mathematics.
We believe that all students will have achieved individual success in mathematics when he/she can…
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of patterns or structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Mathematics Long Term Transfer Goals
Students will be able to independently use their learning to:
- Make sense of and persevere in solving complex and novel mathematical problems.
- Use effective mathematical reasoning to construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Communicate precisely when making mathematical statements and express answers with a degree of precision appropriate for the context of the problem/situation.
- Apply mathematical knowledge to analyze and model situations/relationships using multiple representations and appropriate tools in order to make decisions, solve problems, and draw conclusions.
- Make use of structure and repeated reasoning to gain a mathematical perspective and formulate generalized problem solving strategies.